Thursday, December 10, 2009

First Post!

I'm so excited to be blogging! I've never made forays into this field before, but my parents finally have given me permission!

This blog will chronicle my life and thoughts as a stay at home daughter and future homemaker attempting to serve the Lord! I hope you all enjoy reading!

A little about me: I was homeschooled all my life, I love sewing, cooking and everything French! It is my goal to someday learn the language of the French, move to the Parisian countryside and live an idyllic farm life while witnessing to those around me.

I will be posting about my adventures in housekeeping and modesty! First up: I have been working on creating my own line of modest, old fashioned clothes! I think that the older styles are some of the most elegant around, and too many modern designers forsake this in favor of tight pants and short hemlines.

I would love ideas for some modest fashions! I'm currently using this site: http://www.sewmodestclothing.com/ as a helpful instructional guide!

I absolutely loved this dress in the BBC version of Pride & Prejudice. So simple, yet so classic. I love the uncluttered lines.
I would love to do it in a few colors, and find gloves like in this picture! I'd love to hear your ideas if you have any. I just am praying that the Lord will bless me in this. I believe there is a real need for modest yet elegant fashion in today's culture.

Ok, I guess that's all for today! Au revoir!

2 comments:

  1. I saw your post on my blog and decided to see what you were writing... I think you have a promising start here... the dress in question is lovely. Provided you wear such a thing with the right shoes. I'm a major fan of empire waist dresses, particularly as refined in the regency. However, they only work correctly, IMHO, when they are long enough to produce the right drape. :)

    BTW, I find it interesting that you mention France here... I'm actually a French citizen, myself. (and speak fluent French)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I should add two important links... if you're interested in authentic historical costumes, these sites may be exactly what you are looking for (I strive for authenticity, I detest the look that says "I'm wearing a costume"... these are real things that real people wore):

    Sense and Sensibility Patterns. (As a guy, I've never used them, but I hear their patterns are decently well thought out)

    http://www.sensibility.com/

    Additionally, Jessamyn's Regency Costume Companion is amazing and full of detail and comparisons of actual fashion plates and currently available patterns, in short, worth a look.

    http://www.songsmyth.com/costumerscompanion.html

    ReplyDelete